MK Music HubBuying an Instrument
If you are ready to buy your own instrument you may be able to access the ‘Assisted Instrument Purchase Scheme’ through your child’s school.
The Assisted Instrument Purchase Scheme (AIPS) enables pupils of local authority and academy schools to purchase musical instruments through their school net of VAT providing the sale to the pupil meets the criteria below.
For the purchase to qualify for the AIPS, the following criteria must be met:
- The instrument or item must be sold to the local authority or school and then supplied onto the pupil or their guardian;
- The pupil must be receiving state education;
- The instrument must be used as part of their musical tuition;
- The instrument must be appropriate to the pupil’s needs; and
- The price charged to the pupil for the purchase of the instrument must be at or below cost.
You will need to choose a supplier for the instrument you are looking for and ask your school if they can purchase it on your behalf. It is a good idea to talk to your child’s instrumental teacher for advice on what to buy.